One of the most challenging aspects of the military spouse life is preparing for an upcoming PCS or if you get the chance, potentially picking a new duty station. There is a lot of information out there, and it can be almost overwhelming.
We here at Army Wife Network want to take the some of the guesswork out of the need-to-knows about duty stations around the globe. Hence, our Post With the Most series. In this particular blog, we will be showcasing information related to USAG Benelux-Schinnen, Netherlands.
Located in south-eastern providence of Limburg, Netherlands next to Belgium and Luxemburg, lies USAG Benelux-Schinnen, Netherlands. It is called a tri-country base, serving Belgium, Germany, and The Netherlands. USAG Benelux-Schinnen is the most widely dispersed garrison in United States Army Europe.
USAG Benelux is home to the following units:
- 21st Theater Sustainment Command
- 39th Strategic Signal Battalion
- 405th Army Field Support Brigade
- 424th Air Base Squadron
- Allied Forces North Battalion
- USAG Benelux Headquarters and Headquarters Company
- Aachen, Germany (25 km)
- Monchengladbach, Germany (48 km)
- Eindhoven, Netherlands (63 km)
Closest MAJOR City:
- Dusseldorf, Germany (69 km)
- Cologne, Germany (75 km)
Names of Area Colleges:
- The Benelux-Schinnen Education Center
- Education Center Geilenkirchen NATO AB, Germany.
Weather: The summers are comfortable and partly cloudy, and the winters are long, very cold, windy, and mostly cloudy. Over the course of the year, the temperature typically varies from 34°F to 71°F and is rarely below 22°F or above 81°F.
Time Zone: Central European Time (Six hours ahead of the East Coast)
SPECIFIC POST INFORMATION
- Atlantic Wall (Netherlands): The Atlantic Wall is one of the three museums in the Provincial Domain of Walraversijde. The more than 60 bunkers, observation posts, artillery positions, and the 2 kilometers of open or subterranean corridors constitute one of the best preserved parts of the German Atlantikwall. This defense line was built by the Germans during World War II, stretching from the French-Spanish border to Norway.
- Hitler’s Bunker (France): Brûly-de-Pesche is a hamlet near Couvin. Adolf Hitler maintained his military headquarters and bunker there in 1940, at the time of the Fall of France. His headquarters was known as the Wolf’s Lair (French: Ravin des Loups). But it is also interesting that the woods at Brûly-de-Pesche concealed Belgian partisans, assisted by the Allied armies, in their struggle against the invaders of Belgium. The bunker now accommodates the Museum of the Resistance.
- Walraversijde Archaeological Museum (Belgium): The lost fishing settlement of Walraversijde is one of the most important archaeological sites in Flanders and one of the best-studied medieval fishing communities in Europe. The four reconstructed fishermen’s dwellings were reconstructed with original medieval bricks excavated from the site. The archaeological site takes you to a museum where diverse and preserved medieval objects give a clear picture of life in the village and the archaeological survey.
- Herb Sana (Belgium): Navigate a 9-kilometer route in a kayak on the waters of the Amblève and discover the Belgian Ardennes from a new angle. Then, return to your departure point either by mountain bike or by bus. There’s plenty to see and do here.
- Malgré-Tout Museum and Prehistoric Park (Belgium): Enter the life-size reconstructions of the dwellings of the prehistoric hunters. Discover the area in the footsteps of our ancestors, from the Neanderthals to the Gallo-Romans. Don’t miss the temporary exhibitions.
- Castle of Beloeil: Named “The Belgian Versailles.” Since the 19th century, the domain of Beloeil has been the residence of princes de Ligne.
You can find a list of all housing offices at the various Benelux locations here. There is no government housing in the Netherlands—the home you live in will be a private rental located among the host nation neighbors.
On-post schools: AFNORTH International School (AIS) is located in Brunssum, the Netherlands (GPreK -Grade 12)
- Child and Youth Services
- Army Community Service
- Schinnen JFC Brunssum Library
- 470th Medical Flight Clinic
- Chaplain & Religious Services/Organizations
- Hospital: Landstuhl Regional Medical Center, Landstuhl, Germany; Atrium Hospital, Heerlen, Netherlands; and Zuyderland Medical Center, Brunssum, Netherlands.
- Dentist: Dental care is located at NATO Airbase Geilenkirchen (Germany)
- OBGYN: 470th Medical Flight Clinic
Best place for beauty services:
- Quality Me, Schinnen, Netherlands
- Hairstyling Jolanda, Schinnen, Netherlands
- Beauty and Nails, Oirsbeek, Netherlands
SOCIAL MEDIA CONNECTIONS
Army Wife Network does not promote or endorse these groups; however, we know they can be helpful in learning about various duty stations, so they are provided for your convenience.
Installation Facebook page: USAG Benelux
Military Spouse Groups: Tri-Border Community
- Protestant Women of the Chapel
- Catholic Women of the Chapel