Add this to section of your website

Transitional Assistance Management Program 

Transitional Assistance Management Program 

The Transitional Assistance Management Program (TAMP) provides 180 days of health care  benefits after regular TRICARE benefits end. These benefits help with your transition. You also  you don’t have to pay any premiums for TAMP. 


TAMP may cover you and your eligible family members if you are: 

  • Involuntarily separating from active duty under honorable conditions, including: 
  • Members receiving a voluntary separation incentive (VSI), or 
  • Members receiving a voluntary separation pay (VSP) and can’t receive retired or  retainer pay upon separation. 


A National Guard or Reserve member separating from a period of more than 30  consecutive days of active duty served for: 
  • A preplanned mission.
  • Support of a contingency operation. 


Support of the government coronavirus (COVID-19) response. 
  • Separating from active duty following involuntary retention (stop-loss) in support of a  contingency operation. 
  • Separating from active duty following a voluntary agreement to stay on active duty for  less than one year in support of a contingency operation. 
  • Receiving a sole survivorship discharge. 
  • Separating from regular active-duty service and agree to become a member of the  Selected Reserve of a Reserve Component. The Service member must become a Selected  Reservist the day immediately following release from regular active-duty service to  qualify. 

The Services determine your TAMP eligibility and document eligibility in the Defense  Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS). TAMP eligibility can be viewed online  via milConnect. Service personnel departments will provide information or assistance with your  TAMP eligibility. 




For those who qualify, the 180-day TAMP period begins upon your separation. During TAMP,  you and your family members are eligible to use one of the following health plan options in  addition to military hospitals and clinics: 

  • Military hospitals and clinics
  • TRICARE Prime (where locally available) 
  • TRICARE Select
  • US Family Health Plan (if you live in a designated location) 
  • TRICARE Prime Overseas
  • TRICARE Select Overseas

Does your child have TRICARE coverage through TAMP? If so, they will lose their TRICARE coverage after  the 180-day TAMP period ends.


*For more information, visit the DHA/TRICARE Website. You can also find more information on DHA’s M:M Expert Page.



  • Defense Health Agency

    The Defense Health Agency is a joint, integrated Combat Support Agency that enables the Army, Navy, and Air Force medical services to provide a medically ready force and ready medical force to Combatant Commands in both peacetime and wartime. Their mission is to provide a medical benefit commensurate with the service and sacrifice of more than 9.6 million active duty personnel, military retirees and their families.


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Supporting Our Military Children

Supporting Our Military Children

One thing that has been most important to me, as a military spouse, is figuring out how to best do this life while supporting our children with the changes and difficulties. When my children were very small, there were many times that my husband was away, and I had to parent my children alone.

Mission: Milspouse is a
501(c)3 nonprofit organization.

EIN Number: 88-1604492


P.O. Box 641341
El Paso, TX 79904


Pin It on Pinterest

Verified by ExactMetrics